All of my friends know that I am a proponent of regular facials! Indeed, I encourage everyone to get them. I even recommend that my patients who are going through puberty or suffering from hormonal disorders like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) get regular facials. So, why do I love getting facials, so much? A lot of it has to do with the power of touch!
Nothing really compares to the feeling that you get when you glide your fingers over your face and feel that smooth and pearly skin. Possibly, you already follow a strict skin-care routine and a balanced diet, including drinking lots of water, to maintain your skin’s health and glow. However, once in a while, it is essential to pamper yourself; including getting a professional facial, when possible. For me, I try to get them once monthly but if that is too often for you, even twice a year facials are better than none!
If you think facials are just skin care treatments for the privileged, you are wrong! A timely and regular facial appointment, with your trusted dermatologist or aesthetician, allows you to optimally cleanse, exfoliate, hydrate, and nourish your skin for a rejuvenated glow. Generally, people get facials for various reasons — some of them aim to eradicate blackheads or ingrown hairs and clear clogged pores, while others desire to minimize wrinkles, smoothen scars or preserve a youthful glow.
In a typical day, our skin endures a series of exposures which include staggering amounts of dust, other air pollution and sun damage that then exact a toll on our skin and face. Although the hassle is inevitable on an almost daily basis, applying lotions/creams and liquid cleansers are not enough to keep our skin healthy. Like our internal organs, our skin needs to be evaluated and deep-cleaned regularly, to maintain a premium complexion. With access to a skincare specialist’s powerful touch, a regular facial session will save you from unpredicted skin problems and can restore its balance.
Here is a list to help you understand the outstanding — and some underrated — benefits of facials, and why you should consider getting them regularly.
1. Alleviate Stress and Anxiety — Some people misunderstand the purpose of a facial massage by assuming that it is simply a cosmetic session, intended to clear your complexion. However, facials have benefits way beyond that. In fact, a facial should be part of your go-to therapy when you feel burnt out or when you feel like your overall mental health can use a boost. According to a study published in the Journal of Biomedical Research, facial therapy reduces your psychological distress and activates the sympathetic nervous system. Thus, reducing your anxiety triggers and uplifting your mood.
A good facial massage not only keeps your skin glowing, but it also radiates to other functioning organs in your body. A well trained skincare specialist will identify your facial pressure points and help you achieve a holistic facial session.
2. Detoxify Your Skin – Our skin is covered in bacteria and daily exposures including what we eat and drink can lead to imbalances and overgrowth of certain bacteria on our skin. If these bacteria accumulate in our pores, they can result in breakouts.
This is where a skin detox or facial comes into play. During a facial session, your specialist uses special ingredients, such as depilatories, pore cleansers like microdermasion, herbal extracts, vitamins and antioxidant-rich potions to make your skin fresh and glowy.
3. Improve Blood Circulation – The development of wrinkles and fine lines on your face are a natural part of aging but regular care can delay the progress. Deficiencies in nutrients and oxygen which are usually distributed through blood circulation can lead to skin dullness. Poor facial blood and lymphatic circulation can make your skin look worse for wear. By receiving facial treatments at regular intervals, you can ensure that there is healthy circulation within the muscles, blood vessels and lymphatic vessels under the surface of your skin. This translates to healthier cells and a radiating skin tone.
4. Erase Dark or Puffy UnderEye Bags – If you are someone like me, you probably keep long hours which can then manifest itself as unflattering dark under-eye circles and/or puffiness. Timely and consistent facial treatment, with special attention to the thinner skin under the eyes, can reverse under eye damage and restore a more rejuvenated appearance to your face. Choosing a facial specialist who is trained in addressing this specific region, it’s imperative, if you suffer from this problem.
5. Prevent Skin Aging – This is not a case of gerascophobia but somehow, many of us dislike the idea of aging — especially when it concerns our looks. However, in order to take appropriate care of our skin, we need to admit that we are aging and recognize that with age comes changes in our hormones and consequently our skin turgor (elasticity). Therefore, as we age, we need to invest in modified and age appropriate beauty regimens. That’s right, what worked for you in your teens and 20s may not work for you in your 40s, 50s or beyond.
Regular facials with massages promote cell regeneration and collagen production, which enhance the elasticity of our skin. As we grow older, our skin also accumulates free radicals that can lead to increased inflammation and consequently, an older appearance. Staying hydrated and eating antioxidant-rich foods, while getting regular facial massages and even acupuncture, can help delay and sometimes reverse this free radical damage.
Your skin is the largest organ of your body and of course, it is as important as any of your other organs. Never feel guilty for taking care of it. However, this does not mean that you need to break the bank for expensive treatments. All you need is to find a well-trained specialist for your needs and allocate a reasonable budget for timely facial therapies.
You work hard and you deserve to be pampered. So, why not boost your confidence by taking care of yourself, while clearing your mind?